Monday, March 21, 2011

The Big Project

This project only took 20+ years! : ) My dad and I bought this kit a long time ago...probably before I was 10 years old. We started it and got about a third of the way through. Everyone knows how fast time flies so eventually it was moved to the attic unfinished. A couple of years ago, I decided to bring it home and finish up for my girls. Again, time just flew by without any new work being completed. Welcome 2011...I decided this was the year to finally finish it. I dusted it off and started working on it in January. After many (and I mean many) hours I finally finished it at the beginning of March.


I didn't add all the exterior "extras" the kit had. Geez, that would have taken another month or longer! It definitely not perfect but it's finished and my girls love it. I love it too.
Whenever I would work on it for 3 hours each evening I would think how on earth did I convince my dad to buy this kit and build it! And why on earth did he say yes! haha. The things we do for our kids.

I did have the most fabulous time making it though. My favorite was decorating the inside. I've come to the realization it's like a real house. There is something always to be done. I want to hang pictures, recover the couch, the bathroom needs a mirror...
Ha!
Growing up I always played with Calico Critters - well, they use to be called Sylvanian Families.


A few things I've learned: 1. Building a dollhouse is not for the faint of heart and I can't really recommend it to anyone! haha. 2. It's expensive! I don't even want to know what I spent and I didn't even have to buy the kit. 3. I do have the "bug" to make another very small house to turn into a bakery. I know, I know... : )

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow, so fun to see it finished! Awesome job, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! It looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! That was my dollhouse, too, and its story mimics yours, though I haven't yet finished mine as an adult ... I just sent this post to my mom so she won't feel so bad that it never got finished.

    ReplyDelete